While most pets are easy to handle and can basically live in any enclosed container, snakes are different. This might be a bit obvious since they are still scary to most people. Just imagine your pet snake getting out of its cage and be in the wind, terrible right?
But aside from safety purposes, a snake’s cage is one of the most important factors to consider before getting a pet.
Best Ball Python Enclosure of 2018
|Exo Terra Allglass Terrarium|
|18 x 18 x 24 inches||4.8/5||$$|
|KollerCraft Repitat Flat-Backed Reptile Habitat||10 x 19 x 12 inches||4.2/5||$$$|
|Exo Terra Glass Terrarium Mayan||18 x 18 x 24 inches||4.0/5||$$|
A ball python is one of the most popular types of pet snakes. There are many possible reasons why but one of them perhaps is its beauty. Its scales look beautiful with its circles and stripes. Anyway, if you choose the right ball python cage, there is a bigger chance for your pet to stay healthy and happy in its entire lifetime.
There is no perfect way of choosing and preparing its home but here are some tips which may guide you especially if you are a newbie.
- Ball pythons are cold-blooded animals; therefore you need to maintain a warm environment. This is very important and therefore should be followed, if the temperature will not suit your pet well then it might get sick and even die. Remember, there are not a lot of veterinarians who have expertise in helping sick snakes so it’s better to be safe than sorry.
- Maintain a suitable humidity. This is true and often most important during molting time.
- You need to provide an environment with which your ball python would feel safe and secure. They are some of the most sensitive animals and therefore your might cease to feed if it feels threatened. Additionally, it is not really healthy for all animals not to feel safe and secure in their new permanent homes.
- You need to ensure the cage is escape-proof. There should not be any weak links with which may be damaged easily causing the python to go amok. This is not just for the safety of your pet but for the safety of everyone who might be in close proximity to the snake.
Choosing a Ball Python Cage
Choosing a ball python cage is indeed a very critical process especially if it is your first time. Of course, you would want everything to be perfect, well close to perfection anyway. There are four different types of ball python cages.
- Glass Tanks. Glass aquariums for fishes were often used as python cages in the past since the glass tank offers an excellent view for the owner. However, they present several difficulties firstly because they are not designed and equipped for snakes. Another problem is that, ball pythons are naturally good in escaping so you really need a cage which is escape proof. The lid of aquariums is mostly improvised screens so definitely, it won’t do. One advantage though is that, a glass retains heat and moisture better so this is good for reptiles especially baby ball pythons.
- Wooden Vivariums. Wooden vivariums are considered to be better than glass aquariums since they were designed with the consideration that snakes might use them. The wooden surroundings of the cage is really excellent in keeping the warmth and humidity inside the cage. This is a natural source of heat so it could save you high electricity bills caused by heating bulbs. This will also surely make your ball python feel safer and more at home. You have to practice utter care though, not all wooden vivariums have good quality. There are a lot with low quality and are not really recommended to hold strong snakes such as ball pythons.
- Exo Terras. This is perhaps the most popular cage for ball pythons these days. They are especially designed for reptiles and amphibians and thus it will make a good home for your python. They are often designed with glass doors which make access really easy for you. This also ensures that your tank always have breeze while making sure your python won’t escape. Its simplicity of design makes it one of the most attractive forms of caging in the market.
- Plastic RUB’s. Plastic containers have gained popularity in the recent years as well for being able to hold ball pythons. This is mainly because of the exhaustive experimentation done by experienced breeders. There are different kinds of cages for your ball python so it will still be purely your discernment to choose one.
Exo Terra Allglass Terrarium – Best for ball python
This glass terrarium is undoubtedly one of the most popular terrariums these days. This has been made and designed specifically for reptiles and amphibians. This also comes in many different sizes to ensure you are able to get the right size for the pet you are planning to keep.
- This features patented front window ventilation. This allows enough breeze and fresh air to enter the tank and ensure that your pet breathes in healthy air.
- This also has a raised bottom frame. This was designed so it can substrate the heater.
- This also offers a water proof bottom. This is actually a very nice feature. It keeps water from coming in and out of the tank. Leakage coming from the tank may definitely pose a problem especially if you are placing your tank in the living room or even bedroom. This will definitely leave a mess.
- This features an escape-proof dual lick doors. Ball pythons are known to be very good escapists so it is better to be safe by ensuring it can’t comes out rather than deal with the damages afterwards.
- This comes with closable inlets for wires and tubing management. It is unavoidable to have wires and tubes around the tank since lighting is part of the requirement. It is also unavoidable not to have water around so to make sure the wires are safe the inlets ensure the safety of the wires themselves.
- This also features an enlarged ground surface. This is very important since most snakes need a lot of space to crawl into.
This tank has a unique design and looks really attractive. This 5 gallon reptile habitat is perfect for animals such as frogs, lizards, hermit frogs and snakes. This features a flat-backed design to ensure it can be placed by a wall and still not deprive the owner a good view of its pet.
This was also made with heavy-duty metal screen. This not only provides a good viewing space but instead, it ensures that your pet will not escape through it. The glass has been constricted with seamless acrylic construction which offers a crystal view at all times.
This Mayan terrarium comes with a dimension of 18x18x24 inches. This makes a perfect tank for your ball python. The size is just right, it’s neither too fancy nor big enough but it is enough to give your reptile a lot of crawling ground which is actually one of the requirements among owners.
Additionally, this has been installed with dual doors for an escape free access. This also comes with a waterproof bottom and front window ventilations. This comes with a stainless steel mesh cover to ensure the python won’t really find a way to escape.